Thursday, January 7, 2010

Planning for the week's Writing

There is one important thing that writers should do every week before a brand new writing week starts writers should write down their writing and marketing plans for the next week. I usually determine my writing goals on Sunday afternoons. I write down all my writing goals for the week. Then I write all of my marketing goals.

Once I have done that, I type it up and paste it up on the wall in front of me so that I could follow it each day. That way when I sit down to write, I know what project I should tackle and when I plan to complete a particular project.

I think this is very important for writers. I know that the weeks that I don't take the time to plan out my week aren't productive weeks. They are weeks that are quite disorganized and in which I sort of float from activity to another without any kind of intentionality or goal in mind. And that usually makes for a lot of wasted time.

So, I would suggest that all of you create a template for yourselves. It doesn't have to contain the same divisions. You may have to create a few templates before deciding which one will work best for you. If you create it on your computer, you could print it off each week and fill it in with the activities that you plan to do each week.

My template has five main headings: First, I list all the contacts that I will make each day. Second, I list all the job boards, Ezines or newspapers that I will read and visit during the week. Third, I list all the promotional activities that I need to do during the week to promote myself. Fourth, I list all the networking activities that I will be pursuing. And lastly, I write out my writing schedule and goals for the week.

You could use how I plan my week to create your own template. But whatever you do writers please take the time to do this. You will be very glad that you did.

And let me know how you make out. I would love to hear from you!

Irene

No comments:

Post a Comment